Wednesday, March 18, 2009

So happy together!

Laurel Ralston, Conductor and Trumpet

I suppose it is appropriate, now that I’ve introduced a few members of the Kimberley Community Band, to introduce myself. My name is Laurel Ralston, and I’m a trumpet player. For better or worse, there is no 12-step treatment for that. I’m also the KCB’s conductor, in the sense that I’m the one with my back to the audience, flailing my arms, making strange faces only the band can see (I hope), and trying to give the impression that I know what I’m doing, which much of the time I don’t.

I’ve been a musician for as long as I can remember, although I haven’t always thought of myself that way. My parents plunked me into piano lessons at the tender age of 8--Dad lobbied for violin, but Mom shouted him down--which I resisted until age 17, when I was finally allowed to quit. I took up the flute in grade 7 and got a sound out of it after only three months of trying. I took up the trumpet at the end of grade 11 on account of a crush I had on someone in the high school band trumpet section. I quickly developed a crush on the trumpet instead, and we’ve now been together for fourteen years.

I studied music at the University of Ottawa. It was a grueling, emotionally exhausting, and ultimately awesome experience. I spent three summer sessions at l’Academie de Musique et Danse Domaine Forget learning from some of the most renowned brass teachers in North America and being humbled by amazing students from around the world. After university I got a real job, but I continued to go to concerts at every opportunity and started freelancing on trumpet and flute. At some point along the way I recognized the value of all those years of piano lessons. Please don’t tell my mother.

Conducting the KCB has been, and I’m sure will continue to be, one of the most challenging and rewarding endeavours in my musical career. I cannot say enough good things about the musicians in the KCB and the patience and enthusiasm that they bring to every rehearsal and performance. They work hard even on music that only I like. They spend their summers, when most people take vacations, going to more rehearsals and playing more concerts than they do at any other time of year. Some of them drive over an hour each way, every week, to play together. They have progressed by leaps and bounds. They amaze me. I can’t even put into words how proud I am of the Kimberley Community Band and all that they do. So, to anyone who might be thinking of joining the band I say, please do. You won’t regret it. And to all of my friends and colleagues already in the band: Thank you. You have no idea what a pleasure it is to work with you, or how great are the gifts you have given me, as a musician and a person.

See you at rehearsal!

No comments: