Wednesday, March 18, 2009

“It’s a rush”

Lloyd Freestone, Percussion

Lloyd Freestone’s musical career started nine years ago, but not in a way you might expect. He joined the Kimberley Community Band as a roadie on their first trip to the Calgary Stampede, going along for moral support. A year later, when the band needed a bass drummer for a JulyFest appearance, Lloyd stepped in to save the day. “I couldn’t read music, so I was a bit nervous,” he says of the experience, “but I’ve always been able to keep a beat, so I thought, why not? I wanted to be a musician, but I ended up being a percussionist.” Now, Lloyd is the one who keeps the rest of the band in line, providing the heartbeat in tunes of all styles. His music reading is improving steadily, and he has many of the KCB’s signature pieces memorized.

Apart from the music itself, the KCB appeals to Lloyd on a couple of levels. “I just love to entertain people,” he explains, “and besides, it’s something really fun I share with my wife (baritone saxophonist Connie Freestone).” Lloyd sums up the experience simply: “Have fun. Play music. It’s a rush. I look forward to this every week.”

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Excellent music. Sounds like a well conducted group of professionals.